Stop the rape and genital mutilation of women and girls in the Congo

The Panzi Hospital is located in Bukavu in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is a shelter for women and children who are victims of rape and sexual abuse at the hands of many different groups of militia.

In the Congo, rape is used as a weapon. It destroys families and communities. These women are often disowned by their husbands and families. They have been subjected to countless horrors and inconceivable violence.

My attention was drawn to this problem and to the Panzi Hospital by an article in the September 2007 issue of Glamour magazine. I cried when I read the article and when I pursued further reading and information online. I decided that I wanted others to know. This cause needs to be addressed and Facebook is a quick and simple way to spread the news.

Please invite anyone to this group that you think cares and would like to help. My goal is to inspire others to donate to the hospital or write to the appropriate authorities. I welcome any suggestions as I am relatively new to this.

Letters:
To write to the President of the DRC
- His Excellency, the President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Joseph Kabila Kabange
U.N. Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict
P.O. Box 3862
New York, NY
10163

To urge more funding for the U.N. mission
- U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
United Nations
First Ave at 46th Street
New York, NY
10017
Contact Info

Comments

Popular Posts